A few months ago I noticed that the lights on the front porch seemed to be sagging out of the wall. I kept putting off doing something about it until a couple of weeks ago when the light on the east side of the porch basically fell out of the wall.
 |
| The west fixture was starting to fall out too. No photo of the bad east light. |
At that point I realized that something had to be done. After inspecting the fixture and the electrical box I realized that the electrician had installed a very heavy light fixture onto a box that was only attached to the styrofoam wall covering. The box was not nailed to a stud. The fixture was way to heavy to be supported by foam and stucco. I removed the fixture and set about getting replacements.
Susie and I looked at some light fixtures on line and settled on a smaller, lighter fixture that would not put so much stress on the wall.
 |
| New fixtures, not as elegant as the old ones but much less stress on the wall |
This morning I removed the other fixture and worked to get the electrical boxes reinstalled and the lights wired. As usual this project took much longer than it should have but in the end I prevailed and we have functional light fixtures on the porch again. Now I need to decide if I want to change the fixtures on the garage. I think for now those will wait.