Thursday, June 16, 2016

First Harvest

When we moved to our new home 10 years ago we brought a number of plants that had been in the Frost's yard and then in Susie's yard. We brought several starts from the raspberries in Susie's yard but they did not do well in our yard and finally died. Three summers ago I got several starts of raspberries from my brother and I ordered some from Burpee's. I put them in the raised garden at the end of the driveway but they didn't do well there. Finally last spring I moved them to the back of the house behind the stairs. They have done much better in this new location.
Yesterday I picked the first bowl full of fruit off raspberry in the new location. It is the first time we have really gotten any fruit off these vines. It's a constant battle to keep the deer from eating the new shoots and keeping them wet enough to not burn up but the berries were delicious and it has been worth the effort.

Random Thoughts from an Urban Entomologist