Two summers ago Ward Yorgason and I completely recovered our front deck. We replaced all the old worn out wood lattice with composite lattice. I thought that would hold up better to the weather. I was wrong. Almost immediately it started to sag when it got warm and after one year it was starting to break apart.
 |
| Ready to add the lattice |
So this week Kevin and I did the job again. This time we removed the composite lattice, stained all the support beams, and installed new cedar lattice. My neighbor Sam Andrus was kind enough to let me borrow his truck to pick up the lattice at the Home Depot.
 |
| Kevin fastening the lattice to the frame |
This morning Kevin and I cut the lattice to size and installed it on the frame. Previously we did some work on the frame to make it a bit more stable and reset some of the cross beams to the right width.
 |
| Looks good from the top |
I haven't decided if I will try and stain the lattice. Perhaps this fall. In the past I tried spraying it but that was a real mess. This time I may try doing the job with a very shaggy roller. For now it looks nice and provides more shade than the composite lattice did.
 |
| Hopefully this is the last time I'll have to do this job |