Saturday, March 14, 2015

Pi Day

3/14/15


π = 3.141592653

I'm sure your asking yourself what did ElRay and Susie do to celebrate this epic Pi day. We slept in. Than at 8:45 I got up and put the ice cream mix in the freezer so we could have pie and ice cream for breakfast. 

After pie and ice cream I was outside to work on a new sprinkler line in the back yard. I have decided that this is the year I move the raspberries and get on with the last major project, replacing the retaining wall on the north side of the house. 

I didn't make the pie, that came from Macy's but it made a great breakfast anyway.

After breakfast Susie and I went outside to work in the yard because the weather was so nice. Susie pruned and I worked on putting away thee firewood and cleaning up the storage area under the back stairs. Then we started to remove the Iris behind the back stairs so we could move the raspberries to that location. I also rotated the compost bin as the stuff in there has not been moved all winter.

Once the Iris were removed and thrown down the back hill (where hopefully they will take root and bloom) I started to clean the trench for the new sprinkler line. My nephew Alan Roper dug out the trench last summer but I never got the sprinkler line installed because the Iris were in the way. My goal is to have the line installed and connected next week. Then we can prepare the bed for raspberries. 

I must be getting old because after digging 15 feet of trench I was worn out. Luckily the oranges we ordered arrived about the same time so Susie and I decided to take a break and deliver oranges to family members. Then we stopped at the Bangkok Thai for lunch. You know, Thai food on Pi day. We got back home around 3. It has been so dry that I got out the hoses and watered all the flower beds. Finally we delivered the Scouting for Food door hangers to the ward for our daily walk. All in all a very nice Pi Day!

Random Thoughts from an Urban Entomologist