Thursday, June 4, 2015

End of an era

This afternoon Susie and I went to visit the new Life Sciences building at BYU and to have lunch at Slab Pizza. On the way to the Life Sciences building we watched the demolition of the Widtsoe building where I took most of my graduate classes.
The crane has big jaws that just chew away at the building. Two more days and it will be gone.
With the demolition of the WIDB nearly every building I went to school at has been torn down. The three elementary schools I attended, Joaquin, Timpanogos, and Spencer elementary are all gone. Lincoln Jr. High School and the old Orem High School building have been demolished. About the only major building still standing where I spent significant time is Gardner hall at North Carolina State University.
We picked up the Life Sciences Department bulletin while touring the building and read the article on the retirement of my major professor, Gary Booth. I guess I am getting old.

Random Thoughts from an Urban Entomologist