Thursday, June 4, 2015

Busy Week for the Landlord

The week before scout camp always seems to be busy with things other than preparation for camp. This week has been no different than other years.
Tuesday was the scheduled day for installation of the vinyl flooring in the apartment. Once the installer had finished the bathroom I went to the apartment to repair the drywall and to install the baseboards. While working on the area where the washer and drier go I discovered that a large piece of drywall had broken. In trying to repair it a big piece had to be removed. That was when I discovered that it was opposite the cold air return. I did a partial repair and will fix it permanently the next time we have a change in renters. 
The kitchen installed. Still need to work in baseboard and fix the cabinet drawers
That evening Susie and I were back at the apartment to help Alan install the washer and drier. While trying to get the drier in place and hooked up I was reminded of a design flaw in these apartments. The plug is right in the way of where the vent from the drier needs to go. As a result the drier vent is crushed by the plug and only has about 25% airflow. We have decided to get an electrician to move the plug so we won’t have this problem anymore.
Bathroom ready for the baseboards
Wednesday was the carpet installation. The installers were supposed to be there between 8 and 10. They arrived at 11:50. Kevin and I had gone over early and moved all the furniture out of the living room. While I waited I was able to move everything out of the small bedroom. Once they arrived they worked hard and made good time. They were done by 3:40. I had broken one of the rollers on the closet doors so I was back to the Home Depot to repair that. Long day as a landlord,
The new carpet really helped the apartment
This evening I was back at the apartment because the vinyl installer had not set the toilet properly and it was leaking around the wax seal. I think he actually put the seal on upside down. I got that fixed and then realized there wasn’t a plug in the sink. Fortunately I had one of those in my plumbing box and was able to get that installed. I will be ready for a rest when all the problems with this apartment are finally fixed.

Random Thoughts from an Urban Entomologist